Dane Cook Gets... was a brickfilming fad which originally became popular on Bricks in Motion in 2009. It centered around the "comedian" meeting his demise in various ridiculous and violent ways, set to the song Karma Police by Radiohead.
The original Dane Cook Gets... film was Dane Cook Gets Slapped by a Hobo With a Fish, which was released by James Morr on February 8, 2009. Soon after, on February 14, Chris Salt released a film inspired by this, entitled Dane Cook Gets Goosed by a Pirate With a Hook for a Hand. Morr and Salt both released several more films in this style over the next month, and these are considered to be the original Dane Cook Gets... films. (Also of note: in 2004, Morr had released a short film featuring some of what became the recognisable Dane Cook Gets... elements, titled That Guy From the Coast of the East Gets Kidnapped by a Monkey.)
As these films were released, many other brickfilmers began to produce their own imitations of the format, and Dane Cook Gets... evolved into a brickfilming fad. While most of these kept Dane Cook as the victim, some would replace him with a different character. While the original films only spanned a window of around one month, the fad remained popular much longer, with new ones still being released over a year later in 2010. The fad was nominated for Best Series in the 2009 Bricks in Motion Awards.
In subsequent years, the Dane Cook figure made many cameo appearances in other brickfilms, usually still coming to an unfortunate demise. He has appeared in commission works by James Morr, Chris Salt and Zach Macias, where his appearance was used as a calling card.
The Dane Cook Gets... format saw a brief resurgence in late 2014 and early 2015. This began when the figure appeared in the video Bricks in Motion: The Documentary Kickstarter Update #17, being crushed by the Berlin Wall. An alternate title was given of Dane Cook Gets Crushed by the Collapse of Communism. This led to a number of new films using the format or character, including Found Footage by Chris Salt, alternatively titled Dane Cook Gets Seduced by a Lady Ogress, and Dane Cook Gets Crushed by a One Ton Weight During an Animation Test by Chris Boyer.
There are over a hundred brickfilms featuring Dane Cook meeting his demise, and the vast majority of them have been compiled in a YouTube playlist.
- Dane Cook Gets Slapped by a Hobo With a Fish on YouTube
- Dane Cook Gets Goosed by a Pirate With a Hook for a Hand on YouTube
- Brickfilm releases from mid February 2009, with multiple filmers already releasing Dane Cook films
- Some Random Guy Gets Pushed Down a Manhole by a Ninja with Flowers
- Jake and the Lazy Guy Get Squashed To Yellow Clay By that Squid From My Other Movie
- Dane Cook Gets Squished by a Falling Piano, from July 2010
- Dane Cook Gets Run Over By An Internet Bandwagon, from August 2010
- Dane Cook Gets Squished by a Laptop, from December 2010
- Why We Love Disaster News by James Morr amd Tommy Williamson
- LEGO Top Gear by Chris Salt
- Zeus vs Thor. Epic Rap Battles of History, co-produced by Zach Macias
- Bricks in Motion: The Documentary Kickstarter Update #17
- Found Footage on YouTube
- Dane Cook Gets Crushed by a One Ton Weight During an Animation Test on YouTube